Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Garden Update

I am 1/2 way through Solo Parenting. Hubby is out SOMEWHERE in Alaska flying in a helicopter doing archaeology "stuff."  I know he was in a cave. I'm a horrible wife when it comes to explaining what he does.

ANYWAY Solo parenting is going well. I'm afraid to say "great" because Karma might come bite me in the ass. We're having fun! Lots of fun. Bug is an amazing little guy and I love spending time with him. We went through a few days of injury after injury.

Thursday last week he cut his finger - blood everywhere.
Friday night he fell and "fixed" his lip tie himself. - blood everywhere.
Saturday he fell a the park and hit his head - giant goose egg
Sunday fell and bit his lip- little blood and black and blue lip.

SO, as you can see, we had a rough couple of days. Poor Bug.

The Garden went in last weekend. I'd like to say that it's doing "awesome" and things are growing like crazy, but this is my first year growing in AK and things that did great in Seattle (i.e. Basil) are NOT doing well here. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if it starts to go south, I'm going to harvest it all and call it good!

I have a ton of things planted.

Basil, Red Onions, Yellow Onions, Strawberries, Sunflower, Pumpkin (pie), Pumpkin (Atlantic Giant), Cabbage (OS Cross), Cabbage (Gonzales), Radishes (French Breakfast- I think!), Lettuce (Simpson), Lettuce (Corn), Cilantro, Thyme, Chives, Rosemary, Beets (? I forget!), Carrots, (I forget!! I have it written down somewhere...), Rhubarb, Garlic, Squash (variety of types, Winter, Spagetti, Yellow), Zucchini, Cucumbers (Bush, and three other types....dang it....only I would write a blog post with 1/2 the info!), Potatoes (6 towers), Corn  (Earlivee), Chard,  Tomatoes (a variety of types and they are driving me NUTS.) I'll do an updated list of everything and how it is doing for my own records (at some point.)

Seriously. Tomatoes like it hot and are not doing very hot. Last night I threw together a greenhouse for them to live in. In the process of building it the Bug attempted to help so I ended up getting my finger with the drill. OUCH. Tomatoes are more needy than the Bug. I spent today figuring which spot in the yard saw the most sun and I pulled that stupid thing there with the Bug's "help." I then had to move the cabbage because it was where the sunniest spot was.

SOMETHING BETTER GROW!!!!

The radishes and Simpson Lettuce are coming up. I had to giggle when I saw that. The first few rows are nice then I said !@#$ it and threw the seeds and ran to the house. The mosquitoes are HORRIBLE!! HORRIBLE-HORRIBLE-HORRIBLE. In 45 minutes I got bit 47 times (the marks that I could see and count.) I HATEZ THEM! Did I mention I hate Mosquitoes? Also, the onions are doing well, the first potatoes are peeking up, and the strawberries are getting flowers.

I bought a Mosquito Magnet at a yard sale the weekend before my husband left It needs propane and I don't want to drive with propane in the car with the Bug. I know people do it all the time, but with my luck I would do something wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment