Monday, December 9, 2013

Homemade Christmas Decorations

First off. Let me say that if you are family STOP READING NOW.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Seriously. You are going to ruin the one small surprise that I can give you....
-
-
-
-
-
-
Yes, yes, I realize I could NOT post this, but people keep asking me and THIS is the easiest place for me to share it...
-
-
-
-
-
-
You're still reading aren't you?
-
-
-
-
-
-
Tell you what, go re-read these posts! Lots of Bug photos....SO much better than what is below this. I promise! Plus I mailed it out today. Give it a week. Don't ruin your surprise!
-
-
-
-
-
-
Do you think they're gone?


Anyway. If not, Santa will probably bring you coal. Just sayin'.

I wanted to make something meaningful to give as gifts for Christmas, especially since it was Bug's first on, and it is easy to get away with giving a homemade gift with a baby.


I saw some adorable Santa hand prints on Pintrest and made those for family (see, if you're still reading this you're ruining your surprise.) I don't know about you, but one thing NO POST MENTIONED was that this was near impossible to do by yourself with a 6 month old. He kept grabbing handfuls of dough. There were tears (mine) and lots of starting over.

After that disaster, I wanted to do some more, and decided that feet HAD to be easier. I was right. WAY easier.

They are basic Salt Dough Ornaments. The recipe is as follows: 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup water. Mix it all together and roll it out. Press your little guys foot into the dough and then cut along with a butter knife and put on a baking sheet. Put them into a preheated 200 degree oven for 3 hours (yes, 3 hours.)

I used acrylics to paint them and then used a high gloss sealant to seal them. My friend Laura gave me the following advice and I think is brilliant. Store them in a Ziploc bag with some of those little silica packets (the kind that keep things from getting damp.) You know, the ones that your dog eats and you freak out about and call every vet in town only to find it under the table. Maybe that's just me...

I bought red and white ribbon to put on them to hang. However, I had planned on using the red for Rudolph, but it ended up looking like he was shot in the head...not exactly a Christmas message I want to spread.




Let me know if you make them! I tried talking my husband into letting me make one with his hand. He said no... He is no fun!



4 comments:

  1. Cute idea!

    I am going to be incredibly obnoxious and ask if you received the text for my Santa Letter. If you need me to resend it, please let me know where I should send it to.

    Again, cute idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I did! So sorry!! I mailed it to E. on Monday. Also. Do you happen to like hot pink? :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for that! I found a great bunny rescue and donated in her name. They made a card and are sending it her.

      Hot pink? Not so much, why???

      Delete
  2. Cute crafts! Saw the Santa handprint idea too last year and used it a little differently:
    http://www.gerber-stutz.ch/Colin/Images/2012/2012-11/DSC_1758.JPG

    ReplyDelete