Monday, December 30, 2013

Baby Photos

Once upon a time, I was organized. By organized I mean obsessed. When my husband and I got engaged we did not have engagement photos done. He did not want them. At the time I really wanted them to show our love. In reality, NOW I want them to document my skinny ass.  When we found out we were pregnant my dear husband agreed to getting newborn photos done because he didn't want to hear about those TOO for the rest of his life. 

I contacted the photographer I wanted in September, SEPTEMBER people. Bug was due in April, but I wanted to make sure that I got her. I wasn't sure how it worked and I wanted HER. Her work was amazing, and I wanted it. She was awesome and told me to contact her when Bug was born and she'd schedule me in within the first 10 days. I told her my due date, April 8th, with full expectations that we'd have them done around that date.

TWO WEEKS LATER, Bug was born. Since I was induced I e-mailed her before going to the hospital and figured out which day would work. We decided to do photos a week later (in reality, Bug showed up 36 hours after labor and AFTER a csection, so it was really 6 days since he showed up a day later than expected.) I am 99% sure that was also the first day I took a shower at home. See, the photos documented me being clean for the first time in who-knows-how-long and the baby Bug.

I'm embarrassed to admit how much the photos cost. Let's just say that our mortgage is less than the photos. Yep. I knew who I wanted! I also have (and will) never mention NOT having engagement photos. With an infant, moving to Alaska, and a million other things I never sent out baby announcements. In reality (and advice for anyone who is going to birth a child) I wish I would have gotten envelopes, addressed them, and had everything ready to go once he arrived. Nope. I packed boxes, nursed a kid, and tried to keep from losing my mind. No pictures.

Being the AWESOME mom that I am we finally got our photos sent to Alaska in August (she was kind enough to send them up then so we didn't need to move them.) We had two large ones to frame and FINALLY had them sent to get framed in November. Today I got them back.

What makes this so interesting? When I got home with the photos we hung one up. The other one was a close up of Bug in my dad's arms. It is very special to me. We sat it on the couch, and once Bug saw it he started to laugh. And laugh. And laugh. We tried to take it away to hang, and he THREW-A-FIT. He just kept chuckling at this photo. I'm not sure what he thought was so funny. He was in his walker and kept walking over to the picture and laughing. I don't think he looked THAT funny...

We finally ended up hanging it in our bedroom. He is still obsessed with it. I wonder if he knows that it is him.




AND because I paid a mortgage payment for them...... The rest of his newborn photos (we also got prints, AND every photo from the day in a 5X7 and 5 digital prints in black and white.)








 I would totally pay, and have them done again. See how she didn't make me look like the giant cow I was? TOTALLY worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment