Thursday, September 26, 2013

Frosting

I think that I have baked more cupcakes in the past month than I have in the past year. I continue my quest to make a cupcake that I can sell at my future Cupcakery. I think I have one nailed down. Super tasty and dense. I like dense cupcakes. Bad news is that I am notorious for not measuring-therefore not having any clue what went in. Opps. That is no bueno. Oh well. It was a delicious yellow cake and I think I ate half of them.

One thing that I have learned in my quest for the perfect cupcake is that a perfect cupcake needs to come with a perfect icing. I like my icing piled on high and LOTS of it. I have always eaten my cupcakes as sandwiches. I tear off the top, turn it over and eat it that way. (If you are following what I'm throwing down.) 

I was always disappointed that my frosting didn't have enough substance to it and was hard to pipe and stay in form. Did you all (and I'm sure you did) know of the magical powers of Cream of Tarter? I don't know where it's been all my life. Maybe if I read more about baking I would have figured it out! I added that to my cupcakes and Tada! Perfect peaks. It helps to stabilize the frosting, which is a good thing when you are using buttercreme frosting IMHO.


I still have some work to do on HOW the frosting looks, but it's getting better. I'd "almost" take these to a party. I need to get some different tips for my pastry bags. This one was the biggest tip they had at the store and still not what I need. 

Seriously. I could eat an entire bowl of buttercreme frosting. Cupcakes are are dangerous. 

5 comments:

  1. I think your cupcake looks delicious.....and seeing that I never got supper tonight with everything going on it is making me very hungry. I would be a customer at you cupcakery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problems with cupcakes are that they are delicious. I eat them all, all the time!

      Delete
  2. I am going to agree, cupcakes are dangerous :( So much more so than regular cake IMO, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh. Cupcake sandwich? How have I never thought of that? It's like the calzone of the cupcake world.

    ReplyDelete