Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I scream, you scream....

... we all scream for ICE CREAM!


I miss Seattle. I miss my friends and I miss the food. I have a horrible sweet tooth and LOVE ice cream and cupcakes.Consequently, I also need to lose about 40 more pounds so maybe it's a good thing that I don't live in Seattle anymore. I've been trying to recreate Seattle cupcakes since we got here.

About a month and a half ago I ordered two books off Amazon Trophy Cupcakes and Parties and Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream. I also ordered an ice cream maker for Big Red. (Big Red is my mixer. He's awesome. We've been together 7 years.) Long story short, ice cream maker came, and it had the wrong parts (refurbished, and the parts that were wrong were broken AND dirty.) Kitchenaid was great and sent me replacements right away, but I still had to wait. MAN, I-HATE-WAITING! (Yesterday was national caps lock day, I'm still celebrating.) I have the patience of a 6 year old (which could be why we got along so well when I taught.)

Well, the plan finally came together and my pieces came over the weekend.

The book talks about how she uses fresh, local ingredients. Since I don't have Whole Paycheck Foods or Penzeys Spices, I did what I could, with what I had. I had planned on making Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream (to go with dinner tomorrow night) but only bought 1/2 the chocolate. Opps. I wanted (no, needed, remember-no patience) to make ice cream so I decided to make Scout Mint. I LOVE it. I loved it so much it was dangerous. I decided to make another flavor first while my sweet husband stopped to get me the goods on his way home from work.

It is not Girl Scout cookie season, so I bought the Keebler Grasshopper Cookies, instead of Thin Mints.


 I had no idea that ice cream was SO easy to make. It's dangerous knowledge to possess. After combining everything, I heated it up, threw it in the mixer and 30 minutes later- ICE CREAM! I will say that the recipe says not to boil the milk mixture...I have a 6 month old. I "may" have walked away longer than I was suppose to....it MAY have boiled...but hell, it's still ice cream.


Big Red in action.

Yummy


Does it taste the same? Pretty dang close! I'm pretty sure that Molly Moon has some magical fairy dust that she sprinkles onto her ice cream. Each year the school I worked at has an AMAZING auction. Molly Moon would donate a HUGE 5 gallon tub of ice cream for the dessert dash (tables go up by the amount of money donated.) Somehow, we always managed the ice cream. It was my favorite part of the night! 

I got all the ingredients for the Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream and got that ready to go in tomorrow morning. I keep reminding myself that I can't eat it all. 

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream...



I MAY have found a new project at the Transfer Station tonight. I put the pictures up on FBX Adventure's in Parenting's Facebook page. Click to see it, OH, and humor me...click "like" on the page. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally miss Molly Moon's and snapped up the cookbook on a visit back last spring.I tried the Strawberry balsamic recipe right away but it just didn't work as well. :-(

    Let me know how the Mex Choc goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out great. Not perfect, but that may be because I forgot to add the vanilla before I mixed it! Opps!

      Delete
  2. If you didn't live in AK, I'd be on your doorstep right now. That sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete